Leadership for Social Change Application
Thank you for your interest in applying for the Leadership for Social Change program!
We are looking forward to learning more about you and assessing your fit for this exciting opportunity.
The application is broken into four parts:
- Personal Information
- Essays (There are six)
- Supplemental Materials (Resume and Letter of Reference required)
- Demographic Survey
We encourage you to gather all materials before sitting down to complete the application as you will not have an opportunity to save your progress.
Questions? Learn More Before Applying:
Upon acceptance into the Leadership for Social Change program, each participant is required to pay a program tuition of $150 due no later than Saturday, February 8th, 2020. However, scholarships are available for those demonstrating economic hardship. Please inquire for details.
25 participants will be selected for the 2020 Leadership for Social Change Program. Participants will have the opportunity to engage in discussion with each other, workshop presenters, and Columbus community leaders around a myriad of social justice and personal development topics.
The program seeks to support emerging leaders who bring new ideas, methods and energy to social change work. Throughout the duration of the program and beyond, participants will be challenged to do the following:
- Participate in workshops facilitated by those working with social change organizations, particularly grass-roots and community-based groups, to enhance their confidence to actively participate in democratic processes
- Strive to strengthen their ability to help shape progressive policies in the communities in which they live and work
- Develop theoretical and practical knowledge/approaches to leadership and social change.
- Identify and work collaboratively with local social service, education, and governmental agencies to participate in movement building work
- Contribute to changing discourses in various workplace environments to endorse progressive social justice values
- Participate in a ten-hour service project that will require participants to identify a creative way to utilize their leadership skills and passions to benefit a local non-profit organization
This 10-month learning experience will include formal and informal learning opportunities for participants. Program components will appeal to a variety of leadership learning styles and may include, but not be limited to, personal and professional development, experiential learning, fundraising, mentorship and networking.
See a 2020 schedule here.
Leadership for Social Change participants are expected to do the following:
- To miss no more than three of all scheduled meetings and events including the mandatory opening retreat on Saturday, February 8th 2020 and the mandatory closing retreat on Saturday, November 14th 2020
- Fully participate in all discussions, activities and mentoring/networking opportunities
- Complete all the requirements of the leadership service project
- Be open to new ideas and points of view
See schedule here for time commitments.
The application is open until Friday, November 22nd, 2019 at 11:59pm
A completed application will include the following:
- One (1) letter of reference from non-family members (employer, mentor, spiritual leader, community service organization, etc.)