Leadership for Social Change Application
Thank you for your interest in applying for the Leadership for Social Change program! We are looking forward to learning more about you and assessing your fit for this exciting opportunity. The ideal applicant is an emerging woman or nonbinary leader between 21-39 years of age at the beginning of their career and leadership journey. Questions? Click here.
The application is broken into four parts. We encourage you to gather all materials before sitting down to complete the application as you will not have an opportunity to save your progress.
- Personal Information
- Essays (There are six)
- Supplemental Materials (Resume and Letter of Reference required)
- Demographic Survey
To apply, submit the form below. This application shall be submitted no later than: Friday, Dec. 9 at 11:59pm.
If you submit your application and don’t receive a confirmation email from YWCA Columbus, please email Christian Johnson, Leadership and Social Justice Program Manager, at email@example.com.
Questions? Learn More Before Applying:
Upon acceptance into the Leadership for Social Change program, each participant is required to pay program tuition of $300 due no later than Saturday, February 4th, 2023.
Participants will be asked to complete an employer commitment agreement. The commitment is a way for participants to share their acceptance with their employers, ensure they are in agreement about the time commitment, and highlight the participant’s commitment to ongoing leadership development. We encourage participants to explore with their supervisors the possibility of the company sponsoring their participation.
Scholarships are available for those experiencing financial hardships. Please inquire for more details.
25 participants will be selected for the 2023 Leadership for Social Change Program. Participants will have the opportunity to engage in discussion with each other, workshop presenters, and Columbus community leaders around a myriad of social justice, personal, and professional development topics.
The program seeks to support emerging leaders who bring new ideas, methods, and energy to social change work. Throughout the duration of the program and beyond, participants will be challenged to do the following:
- Participate in workshops facilitated by those working with social change organizations, particularly grassroots and community-based groups
- Enhance their confidence to actively participate in democratic processes
- Strive to strengthen their ability to help shape progressive policies in the communities in which they live and work
- Develop theoretical and practical knowledge/approaches to leadership and social change
- Identify and build relationships with community members within local social service, education, and governmental agencies as they begin to participate in movement-building work
- Contribute to changing discourses in various workplace environments to endorse progressive social justice values
- Participate in group volunteer opportunities that utilize their leadership skills and passions to further YWCA Columbus’ advocacy priorities
This 11-month learning experience will include formal and informal learning opportunities for participants. Program components will appeal to a variety of leadership learning styles and may include, but not be limited to, personal and professional development, experiential learning, fundraising, and networking.
In addition to monthly meetings, Cohort Connection events provide voluntary opportunities where participants can connect with one another and the program’s alumni through educational workshops, community-building events, and book/movie discussions in a book study style format.
The safety and health of all YWCA Columbus program participants is our primary concern. 2023 Leadership for Social Change sessions will take place in-person at YWCA Columbus’ downtown office (located at 65 S. 4th Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215) but we reserve the right to transition to virtual sessions, depending on the state of COVID-19. Consistent participation is expected, regardless if sessions meet virtually or in person.
Leadership for Social Change participants are expected to do the following:
- Miss no more than three of all scheduled meetings and events including the mandatory Opening Retreat on Friday, February 3rd and Saturday, February 4th, 2023 and the mandatory Closing Retreat on Saturday, November 4, 2023
- Fully participate in all discussions, activities, and networking opportunities
- Be open to new ideas and points of view
- Complete all the requirements of the Board Member Informational Interview & #AlliesOnAMission group service project
- Participants must conduct an informational interview with a sitting board member, and turn in a one-page written summary of their experience by the Closing Retreat.
- Participants must complete a group service project and give a 5-7 minute presentation at the Closing Retreat.
- Complete the program volunteer requirement centered around civic engagement
- Practice networking with YWCA Columbus Alumni and Board Members at the fall Alumni Mixer
Applicants will submit their application by 11:59 pm on Dec. 9, 2022.
A completed application will include the following:
- One (1) letter of reference from non-family members (employer, mentor, spiritual leader, community service organization, past LSC graduate, etc.)
The application can be found at our website here.
Please contact Christian Johnson, Leadership and Social Justice Program Manager with any additional questions or if you submit your application and do not receive a confirmation email at firstname.lastname@example.org, 614-627-1222; Extension: 1222