ON A MISSION TO CREATE CHANGE-MAKERS
We believe we have a responsibility to educate and empower the next generation of women leaders. This program engages young women at the beginning of their careers, helping them understand how discriminatory practices, policies and beliefs produce various forms of inequity. Armed with insight, program participants are better prepared to speak up and act out on behalf of themselves and others.
Through our 10-month learning experience, emerging leaders engage in workshops with community experts working in organizations that create social change. Experts come from grassroots, political, community-based, educational and nonprofit organizations to help participants develop practical and theoretical knowledge about current issues and current models for creating change.
Recruit, Inform and Empower
Recruit, inform, and empower a diverse group of advocates to become the next generation of leaders in Central Ohio, who can identify needs for social change and effectively develop strategies to address these needs
Learn What Perpetuates Inequalities
Educate participants about the critical factors that create and perpetuate inequalities in our community
Connect Young Leaders
Connect young leaders to a network and resources that will support their leadership endeavors for social change
The Ideal Applicant
Upon acceptance into the Leadership for Social Change program, each participant is required to pay a program tuition of $150 due no later than Saturday, February 8th, 2020. However, scholarships are available for those demonstrating economic hardship. Please inquire for details.
25 participants will be selected for the 2020 Leadership for Social Change Program. Participants will have the opportunity to engage in discussion with each other, workshop presenters, and Columbus community leaders around a myriad of social justice and personal development topics.
The program seeks to support emerging leaders who bring new ideas, methods and energy to social change work. Throughout the duration of the program and beyond, participants will be challenged to do the following:
- Participate in workshops facilitated by those working with social change organizations, particularly grass-roots and community-based groups, to enhance their confidence to actively participate in democratic processes
- Strive to strengthen their ability to help shape progressive policies in the communities in which they live and work
- Develop theoretical and practical knowledge/approaches to leadership and social change.
- Identify and work collaboratively with local social service, education, and governmental agencies to participate in movement building work
- Contribute to changing discourses in various workplace environments to endorse progressive social justice values
- Participate in a ten-hour service project that will require participants to identify a creative way to utilize their leadership skills and passions to benefit a local non-profit organization
This 10-month learning experience will include formal and informal learning opportunities for participants. Program components will appeal to a variety of leadership learning styles and may include, but not be limited to, personal and professional development, experiential learning, fundraising, mentorship and networking.
See a 2020 schedule here.
Leadership for Social Change participants are expected to do the following:
- To miss no more than three of all scheduled meetings and events including the mandatory opening retreat on Saturday, February 8th 2020 and the mandatory closing retreat on Saturday, November 14th 2020
- Fully participate in all discussions, activities and mentoring/networking opportunities
- Complete all the requirements of the leadership service project
- Be open to new ideas and points of view
See schedule here for time commitments.
The application opens in the fall of each year.
A completed application will include the following:
- One (1) letter of reference from non-family members (employer, mentor, spiritual leader, community service organization, etc.)